Home » Travel » 5 European countries you’ll need a tourist visa for (and 5 you won’t)

5 European countries you’ll need a tourist visa for (and 5 you won’t)

Europe is always a top destination for CAA Members, and they’re travelling to Italy, Netherlands and Spain all of which will require Canadians to obtain a ETIAS – Europe’s Travel Authorization visa starting in 2025. This change means Canadians need to do extra planning before their next trip to Europe. But don’t worry; ETIAS has a relatively simple application process.  

To help you with your travel plans, here are five European countries you’ll need a tourist visa for (and five you won’t). 

You will need an ETIAS starting in 2025, in:


With over 50 million visitors each year, Italy is one of the most popular destinations in the world. So make sure to have ETIAS before you discover Venice in a gondola, bike through Tuscany, or soak up the sun on the Amalfi Coast. 


Do you want to visit the Berlin Wall and Neuschwanstein Castle, or experience Oktoberfest? Then, you will need to apply for ETIAS. As a member of the Schengen area, Germany has been highly influential in shaping EU policy as it’s becoming an increasingly popular tourist destination.


Are you dreaming about seeing the Eiffel Tower sparkle at night? Or do you want to explore the many museums like the Louvre, where you can see the Mona Lisa? You can still do that – but you will need ETIAS approval beforehand.


Though not in the European Union, Iceland still falls in the Schengen area. There is so much to see and do in Iceland, from seeing the Northern Lights dance across the sky and hiking past breathtaking sights of waterfalls, geysers, volcanoes, hot springs and lava fields.


No matter if you crave discovering the cobblestone streets of Portugal’s capital, see where you can spot the landmark Torre de Belem soaring above the water or plan a relaxing beach vacation on a slice of paradise, the country offers something for everyone. Plus, it is the perfect spot to escape the cold, as the temperatures are pleasant all year.

You won't need an ETIAS in:


Currently, England is not considering implementing ETIAS, but it is still possible that they could introduce their own version of ETIAS to tighten their borders, but for now, you won’t have to apply prior to your trip to England.


Scotland is another country you can travel to without any travel visas or ETIAS, as It belongs in the United Kingdom, not the European Union.


As another member of the United Kingdom, Wales will not be implementing ETIAS for Canadian citizens. No travel visas are needed to enter Wales now – just you, your passport, and your carry-on!

Northern Ireland

Ireland still is part of the United Kingdom, so you won’t need ETIAS to visit the Giant’s Causeway, Belfast Castle or The Dark Hedges.


Canadian citizens looking to travel leisurely to Montenegro can continue to do so visa-free for up to 90 days.

Plan your trip to Europe

Let a CAA Travel Consultant help you plan your trip and ensure you have all the correct documentation. Call 1-800-267-8713 or visit a CAA Store to start planning.

Share on:
Scroll to Top