Home » Travel » Here’s what you need to know about ETIAS when travelling to Europe

Here’s what you need to know about ETIAS when travelling to Europe

Entry into Europe will soon require one extra requirement. Starting in 2025, Canadian citizens will need a European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) to enter select countries in the European Union, and non-European Union Schengen States. 

ETIAS is an electronic visa waiver for non-EU nationals who do not need a visit for short trips (up to 90 days) to the Schengen Area. It will be used to help Europe become safer by pre-screen travellers to find potential security threats. 

Where do I need ETIAS?

You will need an ETIAS to visit European Union countries including Austria, France, Spain, Italy, Greece, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Czech Republic and Malta. 

Canadians will also need a ETIAS when visiting non-European Union states (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland), non-European Union micro-states (Monaco, San Marino, and Vatican City) and non-European Union Schengen States (Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania). 

How do I apply for ETIAS?

The application for ETIAS is a straightforward process. The online application takes approximately 20 minutes to complete. To be eligible to apply for ETIAS, you must have the following a Canadian passport (valid for at least 3 months after the departure from the European ETIAS countries), a credit or debit card to pay the ETIAS fee, and an email where your application results will be sent. 

Canadians travelling to Europe with children, will need individually approved ETIAS for each child under the age of 18. Parents or legal guardians can apply for ETIAS on behalf of their child. 

Once your application is approved, there is no need to check the mail for a printed document. Instead, your ETIAS is electronically linked to your passport.  

How long is it valid for?

ETIAS is a multiple-entry permit to all listed countries for up to 90 days within a 180-day period. Once approved it is valid for three years, so there is no need to reapply for each trip to the Schengen Area within that time.  
For more information about ETIAS requirements for Canadians, visit the ETIAS website. 

Need help understanding changing travel requirements?

Let a CAA Travel Consultant help you plan your trip and ensure you have all the correct documentation. Call 1-800-705-1803 or visit a CAA Store to start planning.

Share on:
Scroll to Top