CAA Members know the importance of driving safely, but even the best drivers can get in a collision. If it happens to you, follow these tips to help make the post-crash process a little less stressful.
At the scene
- Stop your vehicle—it’s a crime to leave the scene of a collision.
- Call 911 if anyone is injured or if the total damage to all vehicles appears to be more than $2,000. You should also call emergency services if you suspect the other driver is impaired.
- Record the collision details, including your speed of travel, the location and road conditions. Take photos and video of the scene if it’s safe to do so.
- When safely possible, move your vehicle to the roadside. Turn on your hazard lights and set up traffic cones, if available.
- Exchange driver’s licence, phone number and insurance information with all drivers involved. Get the contact details of any witnesses too.
- If police are on scene, answer their questions honestly but don’t admit fault. That’s up to your insurance company to determine.
In the aftermath
- Drive your vehicle to the nearest Collision Reporting Centre (CRC), if possible. Find the nearest CRC at accsupport.com. If your vehicle needs a tow, don’t authorize it without first speaking to your insurance company.
- Complete the collision-reporting process at the CRC. This will include providing any documentation of the incident and having your vehicle photographed.
- Open a claim with your insurance company, finalize repair arrangements and get answers to any other questions you may have.
If your vehicle needs repairs, locate a reliable mechanic through CAA Approved Auto Repair Services (AARS™), which identifies facilities that meet CAA’s high standards at fair prices. Visit caaneo.com/aars to find a repair shop near you.
Are you covered?
You are probably covered if you have collision and comprehensive coverage. Collision coverage provides protection for damage caused by an accident. Comprehensive coverage provides protection for non-accident-related claims. Both are optional and both have a deductible.
Protect your investment
Be sure to regularly review your auto insurance policy. Call 1-888-545-7254 and speak to a Licensed CAA Insurance Agent for a complimentary policy review or visit getcaainsurance.ca for more information.